SM = Supplementary Materials. * denotes shared first authorship. Several articles contain open data, which you can find here.
- Fried et al. (2018). Replicability and generalizability of PTSD networks: A cross-cultural multisite study of PTSD symptoms in four trauma patient samples. Clinical Psychological Science. PDF.
- Fried & Cramer (2017). Moving forward: challenges and directions for psychopathological network theory and methodology. Perspectives on Psychological Science. SM, PDF.
- Fried (2017). The 52 symptoms of major depression: lack of content overlap among seven common depression scales. Journal of Affective Disorders. PDF, SM, Correction.
- Fried (2017). What are psychological constructs? On the nature and statistical modelling of emotions, intelligence, personality traits and mental disorders. Health Psychology Review. PDF, SM.
- Fried (2017). Moving forward: how depression heterogeneity hinders progress in treatment and research. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. PDF.
- Fried, van Borkulo*, et al. (2017). Mental disorders as networks of problems: a review of recent insights. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. PDF, SM.
- Armour, Fried* et al. (2017). A Network Analysis of DSM-5 posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms and correlates in U.S. military veterans. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. PDF, SM.
- Armour, Fried*, & Olff (2017). PTSD symptomics: network analyses in the field of psychotraumatology. European Journal of Psychotraumatology, PDF.
- Fried (2016). Are more responsive depression scales really superior depression scales? Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. PDF.
- Fried et al. (2016). Measuring Depression over Time … or not? Lack of Unidimensionality and Longitudinal Measurement Invariance in Four Common Rating Scales of Depression. Psychological Assessment. PDF, SM.
- Fried et al. (2016). What are ‘good’ depression symptoms? Comparing the centrality of DSM and non-DSM symptoms of depression in a network analysis. Journal of Affective Disorders. PDF, SM, Syntax.
- Fried & Kievit (2016). The volumes of subcortical regions in depressed and healthy individuals are strikingly similar: A reinterpretation of the results by Schmaal et al. Molecular Psychiatry. PDF, SM.
- Rhemtulla, Fried* et al. (2016). Network analysis of substance abuse and dependence symptoms. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. PDF, SM1, SM2.
- Fried (2015). Problematic assumptions have slowed down depression research: why symptoms, not syndromes are the way forward. Frontiers in Psychology. PDF.
- Fried & Nesse (2015). Depression sum-scores don’t add up: Why analyzing specific depression symptoms is essential. BMC Medicine. PDF.
- Fried & Nesse (2015). Depression is not a consistent syndrome: an investigation of unique symptom patterns in the STAR*D study. Journal of Affective Disorders. PDF.
- Fried et al. (2015). The differential influence of life stress on individual symptoms of depression. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. PDF.
- Fried et al. (2015). From Loss to Loneliness: The Relationship Between Bereavement and Depressive Symptoms. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. PDF, SM.
- Fried et al. (2015). Symptomics as a new research paradigm in psychiatry. Frontiers in Psychiatry. PDF, SM.
- Fried, Tuerlinckx & Borsboom, D. (2014). Mental health: more than neurobiology. Nature. PDF.
- Fried & Nesse (2014). The Impact of Individual Depressive Symptoms on Impairment of Psychosocial Functioning. PLoS ONE. PDF.
- Fried et al. (2014). Depression is more than the sum score of its parts: individual DSM symptoms have different risk factors. Psychological Medicine. PDF.
- McWilliams & Fried (2019). Reconceptualizing adult attachment relationships: A network perspective. Personal Relationships. PDF.
- Adolf & Fried (2019). Ergodicity is sufficient but not necessary for group-to-individual generalizability. PNAS. PDF.
- Epskamp & Fried (2018). A Tutorial on Regularized Partial Correlation Networks. Psychological Methods. PDF.
- Aalbers et al. (2018). Social Media and Depression Symptoms: A Network Perspective. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. PDF.
- Santos et al. (2018). Network Structure of Perinatal Depressive Symptoms in Latinas: Relationship to Stress-Related and Reproductive Biomarkers. Research in Nursing & Health. PDF.
- Greene et al. (2018). Dynamic networks of PTSD symptoms during conflict. Psychological Medicine. PDF.
- Fonseca-Pedrero et al. (2018). The network structure of schizotypal personality traits. Schizophrenia Bulletin. PDF, SM.
- Kendler et al. (2018). The Centrality of DSM and non-DSM Depressive Symptoms in Han Chinese Women with Major Depression. Journal of Affective Disorders. PDF.
- Epskamp, Borsboom & Fried (2018). Estimating psychological networks and their accuracy: a tutorial paper. Behavioral Research Methods. PDF.
- Santos et al. (2018). Longitudinal network structure of depression symptoms and self-efficacy in low- income mothers. PLoS ONE. PDF.
- Mottus & Fried (2018). Same Processes, Different Outcomes. European Journal of Personality. PDF.
- Miloyan & Fried (2017). A reassessment of the relationship between depression and all-cause mortality in 3,604,005 participants from 293 studies. World Psychiatry. PDF, SM.
- Epskamp, Borsboom & Fried (2017). Estimating psychological networks and their accuracy: a tutorial paper. Behavioral Research Methods. PDF, SM.
- Haslbeck & Fried (2017). How Predictable are Symptoms in Psychopathological Networks? A Reanalysis of 18 Published Datasets. Psychological Medicine. PDF SM.
- van Loo et al. (2016). Problems with latent class analysis to detect data-driven subtypes of depression. Molecular Psychiatry. PDF.
- Hartung et al. (2019). Frequency and network analysis of depressive symptoms in patients with cancer compared to the general population. Journal of Affective Disorders. PDF.
- De Haan et al. (2019). Dysfunctional posttraumatic cognitions, posttraumatic stress, and depression in children and adolescents exposed to trauma: A network analysis. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Faelens et al. (2019). Negative influences of Facebook use through the lens of network analysis. Computers in Human Behavior. PDF.
- Molendijk, Fried & van der Does (2018). The SMILES trial: do undisclosed recruitment practices explain the remarkably large effect? BMC Medicine. PDF.
- Briganti, Fried & Linkowski (2018). Network analysis of Contingencies of Self-Worth Scale in 680 university students. Psychiatry Research. PDF.
- Fritz et al. (2018). A Network Model of Resilience Factors for Adolescents with and without Exposure to Childhood Adversity. Scientific Reports. PDF.
- Rodebaugh et al. (2018). Does centrality in a cross-sectional network suggest intervention targets for social anxiety disorder? Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. PDF.
- Rouquette et al. (2018). Emotional and Behavioral Symptom Network Structure in Elementary School Girls and Association With Anxiety Disorders and Depression in Adolescence and Early Adulthood — A Network Analysis. JAMA Psychiatry. PDF.
- Borsboom et al. (2018). Robustness and replicability of psychopathology networks. World Psychiatry. PDF.
- Briganti et al. (2018). Network analysis of empathy items from the Interpersonal Reactivity Index in 1973 young adults. Psychiatry Research. PDF.
- Bos et al. (2018). Cross-sectional networks of depressive symptoms before and after antidepressant medication treatment. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. PDF.
- von Stockert et al. (2018). Evaluating the stability of DSM-5 PTSD symptom network structure in a national sample of U.S. military veterans. Journal of Affective Disorders. PDF.
- van Loo et al. (2018). Robust symptom networks in recurrent major depression across different levels of genetic and environmental risk. Journal of Affective Disorders. PDF.
- Borsboom et al. (2017). False alarm? A comprehensive reanalysis of “Evidence that psychopathology symptom networks have limited replicability” by Forbes, Wright, Markon, and Krueger (2017). Journal of Abnormal Psychology. PDF.
- Schweren et al. (2017). Assessment of Symptom Network Density as a Prognostic Marker of Treatment Response in Adolescent Depression. JAMA Psychiatry. PDF.
- Murphy et al. (2017). Distress, impairment and the extended psychosis phenotype: A network analysis of psychotic experiences in a US general population sample. Schizophrenia Bulletin. PDF.
- Dejonckheere et al. (2017). Perceiving social pressure not to feel negative predicts depressive symptoms in daily life. Depression and Anxiety. PDF.
- Heino, Fried & LeBel, E. P. (2017). Commentary: Reproducibility in Psychological Science:When Do Psychological Phenomena Exist? Frontiers in Psychology, 8(1004). PDF.
- Beard et al. (2016). Network Analysis of Depression and Anxiety Symptom Relations in a Psychiatric Sample. Psychological Medicine. PDF.
- Heylen et al. (2016). Two-mode K-Spectral Centroid analysis for studying multivariate time profiles. Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems. PDF.
- Costantini et al. (2015). Development of Indirect Measures of Conscientiousness: Combining a Facets Approach and Network Analysis. European Journal of Personality. PDF.
Book chapters & dissertation
- Fried (2017). Psychopathological Networks. In A. E. Wenzel (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Abnormal and Clinical Psychology. New York, NY: SAGE Publications. PDF.
- Fried (2017). Zung Depression Scale. In A. E. Wenzel (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Abnormal and Clinical Psychology. New York, NY: SAGE Publications.
- Dejonckheere & Fried (2017). Bereavement. In V. Zeigler-Hill & T. Shackelford (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Personality and Individual Differences. Preprint.
- Fried (2014). Covert Heterogeneity of Major Depressive Disorder: Depression Is More Than the Sum-Score of its Symptoms. Dissertation. PDF.
- Epskamp & Fried (2016). bootnet: Bootstrap Methods for Various Network Estimation Routines. Package for the free statistical environment R (CRAN).
- Fried (2016). Depressionsforschung im Stimmungstief – Gründe einer wissenschaftlichen Krise und mögliche Auswege. In-Mind.
- Fried, Dejonckheere & Tuerlinckx (2016). Welke symptomen zijn het meest belangrijk bij depressie? Een netwerkanalyse van depressie. Neuron, Vol. 21 Nr. 6. (Dutch PDF) (French PDF)
- Fried (2015). Depression — more than the sum of its symptoms. The Psychologist (British Psychological Society).
Blog posts & unpublished commentaries
- Fried & Chekroud (2017). Treatment-resistant depression: clarifications and important steps forward. Blog.
- Fried, Bylsma & Nesse (2016). Is Seasonal Affective Disorder really just a “Folk Construct”? Blog.
- Fried, van der Sluis & Cramer (2015). The genetics of major depression remain elusive. Blog.
- Fried (2015). Depression didn’t crash the plane: the co-pilot did. University of Leuven Blog.
- Fried (2016). True facts about the giant sequoia, or: what kind of name is sequoiadendron giganteum. Science Creative Quarterly.
( Disclaimer: Manuscripts provided here are for academic purposes only and not intended for mass dissemination or copying. Please refer to applicable fair use laws, including the restrictions from publication copyright holders. )